Learn how connected speech will help you speak English faster, more fluently, and much more like a native speaker.
Join “Learn to Speak English Like an American” intensive course:
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part VII) ➡️
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part VI) ➡️
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part V) ➡️
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part III) ➡️
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part II) ➡️
How to speak English fast and understand natives (Part I) ➡️
(1) WEAK FORMS. There are a large number of words in English which can have a “full” form and a “weak” form. This is because English is a stressed timed language, and in trying to make the intervals between stressed syllables equal, to give the phrase rhythm, we tend to swallow non-essential words. Thus, conjunctions, pronouns, prepositions, auxiliaries and articles are often lost.
(2) LINKING. Linking is probably what most people think of first when they think of connected speech. Linking happens when the end of one word blends into another.
(3) ELISION. Elision means the omission of one or more sounds. Generally, one sound is changed by a similar or stronger sound next to it. Sound /n/ followed by /t/ is usually pronounced as double /n/, double /t/ is often pronounced as double /d/ or /l/.
(4) ASSIMILATION. Assimilation is when two sounds combine, creating a new one.
(5) INTRUSION. Intrusion means an additional sound “intrudes” or inserts itself between others. It is often is a /j/ or /w/ or /r/ sound between two other vowel sounds.
(6) GEMINATES. They are like twins. Often when one word ends with the same letter as the beginning of the next word, you should connect the two words in your speech.
0:00 Why you don’t understand native speakers
1:13 Avoid non-essential words
3:19 Link words together
4:18 Substitute one sound with another one
6:24 Singers do this all the time
7:40 What is intrusion and how it can help you speak fast
8:17 When two words become one
8:53 About “Learn to Speak English Like an American” intensive course
⭐ INSTAGRAM – linguamarina
⭐ LEARN LANGUAGES ABROAD –
⭐ ENROLL IN MY YOUTUBE COURSE –
⭐ DOWNLOAD MY ENGLISH WORKBOOK –
📝 Get your English text corrected instantly –
📷 FILMING EQUIPMENT
– Gear for making my ‘talking head’ videos –
– Gear for vlogging –
$20 TO SPEND ON UBER –
I use affiliate links whenever possible (if you purchase items listed above using my affiliate links, I will get a bonus)
#LearnEnglish #FastEnglish #SpeakEnglishFast
english,english language,learn english,linguamarina,marina mogilko,linguatrip,english bro,english with linguatrip,speak english,speak fast english,how to speak english fast,american english,american english pronunciation,fast english,fast speech,english pronunciation,how to understand natives,how to understand english,how to speak fast english,speak english like a native,speak english like an american